- Have you ever browsed a site that you found beautiful in itself, only to discover that in your language is shaky, with gross grammar mistakes or mispelling?
- Would you trust someone who doesn’t put the utmost attention to present his creations or services? Wouldn’t that sound as a “don’t have time” or “don’t care” attitude?
- Have you ever exited from a site because it was not set also in your language, even if that site sold beautiful things?
Several studies and surveys have demonstrated that consumers who can’t read English don’t buy products or services on English-language websites (see for example: Common Sense Advisory, 2014, “Can’t read, won’t buy”; European Commission, “User language preferences online”).
I found many interesting sites I would have been happy to buy from, but then I changed my mind, when I saw that the Italian version was missing or had been clearly translated using some machine or given to someone who obviously didn’t know that you write cappuccino with a double p and c.
Therefore what you need — and expect, is a beautifully crafted, polished text in a different language, one that does not sound like a translation: the goal of every translator.
A text that can inspire people, one that convinces them that they are in the right place to visit that monument, to buy that perfume or that dress, an airline ticket or an awesome tour.
How does it work in practice?
- The specific field of the text (marketing, legal, medical, etc), with its possible “jargon” and target audience
- The knowledge and expertise the translator has of a certain domain — his/her studies or professional experience
- The cultural competence of the translator, both in the source and (more importantly) target language. This is the so-called “localization” of the source text: so it’s not enough to be bilingual in order to be considered a translator. You need a qualified person
- The idea behind the text and the values it wants to convey
How do I work on your text?
First of all, you must check if I am the right person for you 🙂
I will not translate every kind of text just because you give me money for my work. It is important to establish a real relationship based on trust, and it would be unfair to accept a task in a field that it is not my specialization.
Here below you can find my speciality fields.
I work from English and French into Italian, and over the years I have worked, and have specialized, in the following domains (both through education and professional experience):
(eco)tourism & hotellerie (with all its implications, like aviation services, food & wine industry, tourist activities and places to visit)
marketing (press releases, brochures, advertisements)
art & literature (essays, biographies, art exhibitions)
technical (hot runners & molds, automotive field from my previous employment; use of sustainable materials such as glass, electric vehicles, eco-friendly architecture)
If I meet your needs and you said “yes”! and you chose my services:
– the first step is to comprehend the text, reading it thoroughly to see if it matches my competences and evaluating its format (there is a difference if you work on an excel sheet rather than a pdf or a word document, or a hand-written text).
-Once I have evaluated the text and set a reasonable deadline, we can discuss the linguistic/social aspect you want to highlight in your translation (i.e. who is the target audience? Who is the text aimed to? Millennials? Or maybe more “aged” people? What is the feeling you want to convey? How do you want your audience to feel when they read the translated text? Relaxed, welcomed? Or do you need a more formal, detached language, for example for a business presentation or press release?).
When all is set I start translating, paying particular attention to all those little details that usually “betray” a translation:
• the text not sounding Italian
• poor care of cultural details, realia, or typical expressions/puns
Typos and grammatical mistakes are obviously beyond doubt.
- You believe in the beauty of words and in the power they have to change the world, and you want a translator who can reflect the passion and enthusiasm that you’ve put into your text
- You are, or are planning, to sell products or services abroad (namely in the Italian market), and need a text that “hits the target”
- You want to give your text to a professional with many years of experience in specific fields, and you want to rest assured that you deal firsthand with a person who “knows what it is all about”
- You want the translation to sound as naturally as possible, as if it had never even been translated, in order to attract a wider audience in a different language
- You just need a language pair and simply want to transfer words to another language
- You need things done fast and have a very low budget. I’m sorry, but in that case I have to take a step back. I will be glad to give you someone else’s name: I believe that every beautiful thing needs time, care, and passion, and this has to be taken into account when asking for a serious translation service. After all, have you ever seen a flower blossom in just one day?
Let’s start a conversation
Enter here below your details with a brief request of what you need. I’ll reply as soon as possible to discuss it further!